I don’t even watch television, but a friend has been saying for months, “Don’t you know about Rachel Maddow?! You have to! Brilliant! Â Progressive! Â Out dyke! Â From your home town fer Chrissakes! Â On television! Go watch her right this very instant and then report back.”
Sadly, the years of Rachel Maddow’s ascension in broadcasting have more or less paralleled my years either in family crisis or early parenthood or both. So I’d been a bit tuned out. Also, we moved the TV from one room to another about a year or two ago, and managed never to really plug it back in again, beyond hooking up the DVD player. We can’t have the child watching Dottie’s Magic Pockets on my computer here, now can we?
But I succumbed to the peer pressure, checked out Rachel Maddow (pictured at right — see? you think I’m kidding? she’s like, like, like US!), and hot darn was I not disappointed. She reminded me of my smartest chums, laying into [name the topic] with gusto and good humor and insight and research to back it all up. Ah, my peeps.
Now I’m going to guess that nine-tenths of you out there are actually are aware of public events and the people analyzing them, in both alternative and commercial media, and are therefore aware of Ms. Maddow. At least you US residents. For the remaining tenth of you, whether you’re US residents in a partial media blackout, such as I have been, or enlightend folk abroad — and assuming a sharp witted, articulate, progressive, out dyke on the TV set is a thrill — oo! and you wanted more than newlywed Ellen DeGeneres! — I suggest you hie yourself over to any of the links below to acquaint yourself with the new HOST OF HER OWN NIGHTLY COMMENTARY SHOW ON MSNBC. Starting September 8th. At 9pm Eastern, 6pm Pacific. Â I’m guessing it would be somewhere in between for my mates in Central Standard Time.Â
I may have to plug the TV in after all.
- Â â€¢ Â Keith Olberman’s announcement/post on Daily Kos: Rachel Gets Her Own MSNBC Show
- Â â€¢ Â Salon.com/broadsheet news flash about her show: It’s a Maddow Maddow Maddow Maddow world!Â (by Rebecca Traister)
- â€¢ Â Nation piece Mad for Rachel Maddow (by Rebecca Traister)
- â€¢ Â Popnography piece Why we’re all hot for Rachel Maddow (by Japhy Grant, who kicks off his piece with the winning first sentence, “I know I’m probably breaking some sort of gay male covenant, but I have the world’s biggest crush on Rachel Maddow.”)
- â€¢ Â The inimitable Dorothy Snarker’s two weeks ago love letter to her, Maddow about you, and her piece on the new show, posted in the same wee hours as this missive, Rachel rising.